Sunday, April 24, 2016

Will You Walk With Me?




Ever since I was a little girl, I remember doing a walk with my family every year to support my sister with her diabetes. Until I grew older, I never understood the meaning behind such a long walk. I did not understand the feeling of accomplishment, support, and love until I held my best friend’s hand and, together, walked the finish line of the walk as two type one diabetics.

The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, JDRF, has been such a huge part of my life for so long with my sister being diagnosed at a young age, and then became my lifestyle at the age of sixteen. JDRF is a charity that helps children and adults with type one diabetes feel comfortable and supported. They hold walks every year to raise money for the research in finding a cure for diabetes.1 This world wide charity has helped change lives in young children, adults, and even the families of those with children who are diabetic. They are a warm, confiding, charitable organization that gives everything to raise money to help finding a cure.

JDRF has recently launched a randomized trial for the constant glucose monitors, and how they effectively help those with type one diabetes. In the study, researchers were trying to address the benefits and complications of the constant glucose monitors for those with diabetes.2  The CGM’s have changed the technology in the diabetes world forever. With the constant glucose monitors, the patients are able to check their glucose levels throughout the day without pricking themselves. The CGM allows the patient to see which direction their sugars are going and are able to catch their levels before hitting hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia.



References:

  1. Radford, I. (2011). Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Journal of Diabetes Nursing, 15(3), 118-119.
  2. JDRF CGM study group. (2008). JDRF randomized clinical trial to assess the efficacy of real-time continuous glucose monitoring in the management of type 1 diabetes: research design and methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment